Skip to main content

What I'd give to be a replacement ref

I seriously wonder how much these NFL replacement refs are making and once I hear the number, if I can apply for the job. Based on the calls I've seen in the first two weeks of the season, there's a decent chance I could do just as well, if not better than these refs.

In Week 1, the Seattle Seahawks were given four timeouts in the second half of their 20-16 loss to the Arizona Cardinals. Last I heard, teams possessed only three timeouts in each half. I'm now being told this is true, but Seattle had access to a get-a-free-timeout coupon it saw in their local paper and the referees accepted it.

This same thing benefited the Detroit Lions in their opening week come-from-behind win against the St. Louis Rams, as they were afforded a fourth timeout in the second half. Rumor has it that Lions head coach Jim Schwartz bribed the replacement officials with Monopoly money and they took it.

Forty-four seconds magically vanished from the clock pending a challenge from Pittsburgh Steelers' head coach Mike Tomlin in the Steelers' opening-week loss to the Denver Broncos. These particular 44 seconds haven't been spotted since, but are said to be taking a vacation in Hawaii.

Toward the end of the game yesterday between the Philadelphia Eagles and Baltimore Ravens, the Eagles were down 23-17 and driving when quarterback Michael Vick threw the ball forward just before being taken to the ground. Balitmore jumped on the ball and the referees looked at one another like deer look at headlights, before finally signalling it was Baltimore's ball. Upon review, as most blind men could see, the referees saw that it was an incomplete forward pass and not a fumble.

Refs are often times made to be scapegoats for a team's loss. Once in a great while, this can happen, but most every time, the team itself lost the game. But so while referees typically won't be receiving too many nice gifts in their stockings around Christmas time from NFL players and fans, they are being sorely missed by the league and its fans now, because these replacement refs are providing more comedy than Dane Cook after giving his audience a good dosage of nitrous oxide. I'm just waiting for the moment when a replacement ref signals a penalty for a false start, but calls it traveling, that or he calls a touchdown a home run. Sadly, after watching the officiating these first two weeks of the NFL season, I think those ridiculous events are quite possible.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2012/9/12/3315192/nfl-replacement-referees-mistakes-week-1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...