Skip to main content

Romney flip-flops on how to change Washington

This is getting to be ridiculous. I take that back - it's been getting ridiculous for some time and there may not be a word in the English language fully appropriate for just how ridiculous things have gotten.

At President Obama's Univision forum recently, he responded to a question with the following:

"I think that I've learned some lessons over the last four years, and the most important lesson I've learned is that you can't change Washington from the inside. You can only change it from the outside. That's how I got elected, and that's how the big accomplishments like health care got done, was because we mobilized the American people to speak out."

Now, I don't completely agree with the president, as I feel it's kind of silly to suggest you can't make a difference yourself and change Washington from the inside in addition to people on the outside working hard to bring about change in this nation's capital. However, I understand where he's coming from and whether or not he's being 100% genuine with his sentiments is debatable. Was this just a statement used to try and motivate people to get more involved before the election? Is it something he firmly believes? Did it lie somewhere in the middle? Whatever the case is, the statement was very similar to those the president gave in his speech at the Democratic National Convention.

At the convention, Obama said: "So you see, the election four years ago wasn't about me. It was about you. My fellow citizens, you were the change.

You're the reason there's a little girl with a heart disorder in Phoenix who'll get the surgery she needs because an insurance company can't limit her coverage. You did that.

You're the reason a young man in Colorado who never thought he'd be able to afford his dream of earning a medical degree is about to get that chance. You made that possible.

You're the reason a young immigrant who grew up here and went to school here and pledged allegiance to our flag will no longer be deported from the only country she's ever called home; why selfless soldiers won't be kicked out of the military because of who they are or who they love; why thousands of families have finally been able to say to the loved ones who served us so bravely: 'Welcome home.'"

Apparently, Mitt Romney and the Republican Party don't have much of a memory, as that speech Obama gave occurred just over two weeks ago.

So what was Romney's response to Obama's "...you can't change Washington from the inside..." remark?

"He said he can't change Washington from the inside. He can only change it from the outside. Well, we'll give him that chance in November, he's going outside. I can change Washington, I will change Washington, I'll get the job done from the inside. Republicans and Democrats will come together."

In December of 2007, Romney said this: "...I don't think you change Washington from the inside. I think you change it from the outside."

The guy is just making it too easy for me... Please, Mitt, I beg of you - keep on talking...

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/09/20/886571/mitt-romney-finds-a-new-message-change-can-only-happen-from-inside-washington/

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-obama-hopes-20120907,0,3840193.story

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2007/12/30/4429528-mitt-on-huck-mccain-ann

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...