Skip to main content

I'm told I need to stop thinking like a Democrat

When in a discussion about Romney's "47%" comments and providing evidence that the Republican candidate was inaccurate with his numbers and whom they represented, I was told to "stop thinking like a Democrat" and told that the only people who care about that "47%" are Democrats. I then provided proof this wasn't entirely accurate, as many conservative pundits have criticized Romney for his remarks, including: David Brooks, Joe Scarborough, David Frum, former Reagan speechwriter Peggy Noonan, Mark McKinnon, Bill Kristol, etc. Several Republican politicians have distanced themselves from Romney since those remarks were made public.

I guess my question is, how does one define "thinking like a Democrat" or on the opposite side, "thinking like a Republican?"

My intent with my research and fact-checking was not to come across as partisan. It was not my intent to "think like a Democrat." It was simply my intent to get to the truth of the matter, to provide consistent evidence with regard to the accuracy of Romney's words. When fact-checkers illustrated he was inaccurate with those same words, were they "thinking like Democrats?" When fact-checkers have showcased an ad or a quote of President Obama's as inaccurate, were they "thinking like Republicans?"

I don't understand why there has to be a partisan bent to everything. I can't count how many times, after fact-checking a statement, I hear the following - "Fact-checking sites are liberally biased!" Why can't we allow facts to be facts?

I think I, more or less, know the answer to that. When a fact runs counter to a strongly-held belief of a person's, he or she will often times find a reason to dismiss said fact so they can hold on to that belief. "That source is biased" is an easy out for them. Perhaps largely due to the construct that is the "news" media nowadays, especially on cable news channels and radio, opinion can often times be misconstrued as fact and vice versa. While an opinion can be backed by facts, that does not make the two interchangeable. It frustrates me to think that just because I research and fact-check ads, quotes, chain e-mails and the like very regularly, that equates to me "thinking like a Democrat." I just see my thinking as being reality-based and curious. If that equates me to "thinking like a Democrat," then so be it, I guess.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...