Skip to main content

"If you like this, then you're (fill-in-the-blank)..."

I'm as much a lover of the arts as just about anybody. I enjoy anything from music to cinema to theatre to literature to painting to comedy (yes, I'd consider this an art, unless you're Dane Cook and then I'd consider it a migraine-in-the-making) and beyond.

Like anybody, I have my likes and dislikes in the arts. I'm a big fan of Salvador Dali's painting, of Alfred Hitchcock's film-directing, of Kurt Vonnegut's writing, of George Carlin's comedy, while I'm not so fond of Adam Sandler's acting (and humor), Limp Bizkit and Nickelback's music, Larry the Cable Guy's comedy and Nicholas Sparks' writing. These aren't so much facts as they are my opinions. I may be able to make valid arguments in certain cases to better prove my opinions and more so than the opposing side of the debate. However, grading the arts isn't as black and white as is mathematics. While most critics believe Casablanca to be one of the best films in the history of cinema, not all of them feel this way. However, it is routinely positioned at or very near the top of critics' best-films-in-history lists, even when some don't see it as such. Our version of a "fact" when it comes to the arts is the overall opinion of "experts" with regard to that particular medium. We can't say that a film is the greatest of all-time with equal certitude as if we were to say that 2 - 1 = 1. There would really be no point in awards shows if things were so matter-of-fact in the world of arts and entertainment. We wouldn't need a list of 4+ nominees in order to know which was the best in any particular category. While I personally believe, like most critics, that Casablanca is one of the finest films in the history of cinema, I'm not going to declare that it's fact.

Also, while I feel, like with the artists I listed above, that I have a fairly decent grasp of "quality" entertainment (yes, speaking like a critic now - or writing, I suppose), like most people, I also possess some guilty pleasures. There are some films and musicians that, while I don't think they are too high in terms of quality, for some strange reason, I enjoy them. I grew up in the '80s and '90s, so I like some, how do I put it? I like some fairly bad movies and songs. However, I enjoyed these things when I was growing up and perhaps due to the memories involved when I watch a certain film from back in that time-frame or hear such a song, I can't help but wear a goofy smile across my face. Again, though, these opinions aren't factual. Some critics may feel that these "guilty pleasures" of mine are quality forms of entertainment, while many may not feel this way.

I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of how steadfast in our opinions we are about the arts and how much expertise we have in such a field, the objective is still subjective. What we beleive is fact is merely an opinion. Said opinion can be bolstered by factual arguments, however the two will never completely coalesce.

I write this, because I've read many comments lately which attack an individual on a personal level due to his or her taste in the arts. Often times, it's an attack on an unspecified person.

An example of this would be if someone said, "Anyone who likes the movie 300 is a complete idiot with no taste for quality cinema!"

While I admit that I felt that, outside of the outstanding CGI, 300 was an overrated film, I'm not going to insult a person's level of intelligence just because he or she liked it.

I've never been a fan of boy bands and even though hearing all the screaming teenage girls at the site of them is like hearing nails against a chalkboard for me at times, I'm not going to insult them for it.

The fact is we all have different tastes. I'm a writer, so when it comes to cinema, I prioritize a quality storyline, plot and dialogue far above intense action sequences or special effects. Others are into the adrenaline-pumping scenes first and foremost. That doesn't make either of us correct or incorrect on the matter. Some love romance novels to the point where they get teary-eyed just from reading those two words side by side, while others begin gagging at the sight of those same two words next to one another. It doesn't make either person right or wrong.

I often times think it's silly for people to take political or religious disagreements so personally, as they seem to feel that when someone close to them doesn't agree with them regarding such a topic, they take it to mean the other individual doesn't truly know, understand, like and accept them as a person. I just take it to mean, "We disagree. So what? What's on the tube?" Politics can truly impact our lives, however - the essentials of life no less, so I can understand a person exhibiting a certain fire and passion when discussing such matters and perhaps in the heat of the moment, taking a disagreement personally. While I still find that silly, I can understand that potential outcome far more than a person seeing things from that very perspective with regard to arts and entertainment. While I'll admit to loving the arts and being emotionally moved by them at many points in my life, I'd feel quite ridiculous to engage in a heated debate with a person just because they didn't like a particular movie I enjoyed. ...that is unless they claimed that "The Notebook" was the best film in the history of cinema... Then we may exchange a few words... Actually, that would require no words. It'd leave me speechless and would result in me providing myself with the biggest facepalm this side of the Incredible Hulk.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...