Skip to main content

Headlines vs. Reality

There are times I really wonder if reporters have any idea what they're writing about. British rock trio Muse have been touring worldwide to help promote their latest album, Drones. In response to one of their recent London shows, I've seen the following headlines over the past 24-48 hours:

- "Drones collapse during Muse Concert at the 02 Arena"

- "Watch Muse Drone Crash Into Audience During Concert"

- "Muse Drone Crashes Into Crowd During Concert: Watch"

- "Watch Muse's drone crash into crowd during London gig"

- "Watch a Drone at a Muse Concert Crash Into the Crowd"

- "That Awkward Moment: Drone Crashes Into Crowd at Muse Concert"

In most of these articles the author(s) noted that fortunately, nobody was injured during this apparent mishap. So, this "drone" crashing into the crowd was made to sound like a potentially serious incident, correct? Well, brace yourselves, people, because it wasn't - the drone was inflatable. That's right, the media made a big deal about an inflatable drone falling into a crowd at a concert. Due to the misleading headlines with regard to this story, expect the media to publish the following headlines at some point in the future:

- "Boy almost killed by floating balloon at 6th birthday party"

- "Inflatable doll apparently didn't take her Zoloft, almost strangles owner"

- "Clown's unidentifiable balloon animal goes extinct, could cause major problems in food chain"

- "Inflatable raft banned from water park for cussing out group of Boy Scouts"

- "Inflatable mattress accused of shooting owner's mistress, Stella"

https://www.google.com/search?q=muse+drones&oq=muse+drones&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j69i60l3j0.1961j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=muse+drones&tbm=nws

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...