Skip to main content

100 days alcohol free

On December 26th of last year I suffered my first panic attack. Of all my health ordeals through the years, and there have been many, this was by far and away the scariest of the lot. My blood pressure shot up from 120/80 to 197/118. My heart-rate jumped from 90 beats per minute to 155. I started losing feeling in my arms and legs. It reached the point where I looked my mother in the eyes, told her I loved her, and goodbye, because I thought that was it. Fortunately that wasn't the case, but it's been a long four months back to recovery, and I'm still not fully there just yet. Between the numerous tests I underwent, the multiple medications to which I've been prescribed, and trying to make constant adjustments due to the medications and anxiety, it's been anything but an easy process. Due to ignorance on all parties' part, I was initially asked to refrain from consuming caffeine (including allergy pills) and alcohol. It was discovered fairly early that neither caffeine nor alcohol were the triggers, so I needn't worry about consuming them, but while I've started consuming caffeine again in moderation, I've refrained from drinking alcohol for the past 100 days. I promised myself I wouldn't start drinking again until my body was fully adjusted to the medication, I received the doctor's okay, and I felt fully comfortable and confident about doing such, but while I've started going out again, including to bars, I've remained tentative on consuming any alcohol, so I've refrained from doing so. It's reached the point where I'm now beginning to wonder if I'll even want to ever drink again. To be perfectly honest, it wasn't at all difficult to stop drinking. While I previously tended to only drink on the weekends, I did at times drink more than the average person when I went out with friends and/or family to party. In any case, it wasn't at all difficult. If I had the choice between drinking yet still suffering panic attacks and never drinking but not suffering any panic attacks, I'd take the latter without any hesitation whatsoever. In any case, since it's been 100 days (yes, that magic number), I was curious to reflect on any changes I've noticed since the change.

- More consistent sleeping patterns

- Consistently better hydrated

- Able to exercise/workout more consistently

- Lost some weight/look better

- More consistent moods

I guess the main theme here with regard to at least temporarily cutting myself off from alcohol is more consistency. Drinking any given night can screw one's routine up for multiple days, so while I sometimes miss kicking back and drinking with friends/family, I'd say the benefits of not drinking far outweigh the downsides.

While I may not have been a drunk so it's not fair of me to compare my situation with an alcoholic's, for those out there whom are, just know there are a great number of benefits to not drinking, there are numerous ways of getting help, and I'm sure many friends and family members of yours would be more than willing to help you get through the difficult transition of quitting.

If you or someone you know needs help cutting back on drinking alcohol, go to the following link, and there should be plenty of information on ways to get yourself some help: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=help%20with%20alcoholism

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...