Skip to main content

GOP threatens government shutdown if Obamacare isn't defunded, but...

Some Congressional Republicans are threatening a government shutdown if Obamacare isn't defunded. The only problem with that is, no matter how tough their talk, it will be impossible to defund most of the healthcare bill. In other words, some GOP members are threatening a government shutdown to simply look tough and rile their supporters.

Melissa Seeley of the Health Affairs blog explained the matter as follows:

"The pillars of the law's health insurance expansion strategy-increased eligibility for Medicaid and the new premium and cost-sharing subsidies for private health insurance - are exempt from the annual appropriations process. These so-called 'mandatory' or 'entitlement' programs are permanent and have permanent funding authority. Furthermore, the Department of Health and Human Services has the ability to fund related provisions without seeking additional appropriations from Congress. For example, Federal grants to states to plan and build the new health insurance exchanges fall into this category. It also includes funding necessary to immediately lower insurance costs for uninsured individuals with preexisting conditions and early retirees."

In other words, this tough talk by the GOP is for nothing. Also, they seem to be forgetting the fact that Democrats control the Senate and the Oval Office. A bill to defund Obamacare, even if it were possible, wouldn't pass the Senate, and even in the odd scenario that it did, the president wouldn't sign it.

Can you imagine the following headline- "Obama Defunds Obamacare!"? I don't think so.

So, let's think this over for a minute. The Republican Party is threatening to shut down the government in order to defund a law which will be minimally affected in such a scenario, and there's less chance of the bill passing the Senate and getting signed by the president than a fetus has at winning the lottery. Yeah, that sounds like a winning strategy. If the party does go that route, they may have to alter Vince Lombardi's quote to represent their party before long - from "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing" to "Winning isn't everything; it's - what is it again?"

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2011/01/04/171854/defund-entitlement/

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/09/19/2647171/republican-civil-war-breaks-obamacare-defunding-wont-stop-reform/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...