Skip to main content

Reasons the House GOP wants Obamacare delayed

I can think of two reasons the House GOP wants Obamacare delayed for a year: 1) They fear it'll work and hinder their chances in the midterm elections (and beyond) and 2) They want to be able to use this to rile their base for those very midterms.

Historically, traditional Republican voters tend to show at the polls for midterm elections with more regularity than Democratic voters. If Obamacare gets delayed for a year, what do you suppose the GOP will spend most of their time discussing in ads and elsewhere? "If you elect us, we'll get rid of Obamacare!" This tactic didn't work for the 2012 elections, but since that was a presidential election, more traditional voters from all sides of the political spectrum showed. So, onto Plan B - trying this same tactic in the midterm elections.

The Republican Party is scared right now. As the country becomes more diverse (in both thought and ethnicity), the GOP is becoming more obsolete. So through suppressing voters rights, gerrymandering, and now trying to take the U.S. economy hostage, they're desperately trying to maintain a sense of power - that feeling which is now seeming to wither away every election cycle. If Obamacare is fully implemented and succeeds, the GOP will be in serious trouble and they know that. That's exactly why they're doing everything in their power to shutdown Obamacare before it has the chance to do likewise to them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...