Skip to main content

The NFL's "process rule" needs to be changed

For the second time in the past four years, Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson had a touchdown catch overturned in the team's opener due to what is known as the "process rule."

The rule states that in order for a touchdown catch to be legitimate, the receiver must "complete the process of the catch in the end zone" - meaning he must control the ball throughout the entire "process." In the game today, Johnson had control of the ball as he crossed the goalline and dove into the end zone. However, since once he hit the ground, the ball came loose, the touchdown was reversed to an incomplete pass. This happened to Johnson and the Lions in their season opener in 2010 in a loss to the Chicago Bears. The catch would have resulted in a Lions victory. Fortunately for the Lions today, the call reversal didn't result in a loss, as they defeated the Minnesota Vikings 34-24.

This call makes absolutely no sense to me. When a team runs the football into the end zone, the ruling is that if any part of the football crosses the goalline, it's a touchdown. If a ball carrier fumbles the ball a split-second after it crosses the goalline, it will be ruled a touchdown. So, if a receiver has control of the ball as it crosses the goalline, like Johnson did earlier today, why is that not automatically ruled a touchdown? Whether a player is running with or catching the football, if he is in control of the ball as it crosses the goalline, it should be ruled a touchdown. Hopefully the NFL finally reverses this silly rule so we don't see any more silly call reversals like the one witnessed earlier today.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/84323/johnson-overturned-again-by-process-rule

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...