Skip to main content

Right-wing outlets mislead about Chicago kindergarten "sex ed" classes

This school year, Chicago will implement age-appropriate sexual education for each grade level, making it the largest urban school district to do so. This includes kindergarten.

::awaits far-right conservatives providing the computer monitor with a look of shock, before yelling obscenities, and calling Obama the Antichrist::

Please re-read the first sentence - "...implement age-appropriate sexual education for each grade level..." For kindergarten and 1st grade, this will equate to nothing more than teaching these kids about "anatomy, healthy relationships, and personal safety." In other words, these kids aren't going to be learning about sexual intercourse, contraception, and sexually-transmitted diseases. Like I've said twice now, the education will be "age-appropriate." Good luck trying to get this point through to far right-wing websites, though, whom are doing everything in their power to stir controversy through misleading headlines and commentary.

Daniel Doherty of the right-wing site Townhall.com wrote an article about the matter, titled, "Chicago: We Need to Teach Sex Education in Kindergarten Classrooms."

Tom Tillison of the right-wing site BizPacReview titled his piece, "Obama says sex education for kindergartners 'right thing to do.'"

Of course, when many conservatives read these headlines or even politically uneducated moderates or liberals, what will they think? That Chicago will be teaching 5-year old kids about sex, and that's simply not true.

Perhaps politicians and educators should alter the terminology some to hopefully minimalize the potential misconceptions about the program. In any case, however, these far ring-wing sites and commentators shouldn't mislead the public on it. Teaching 5-year olds about anatomy, healthy relationships, and personal safety is far different than teaching them about sexual intercourse, contraception, and sexually-transmitted diseases.

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/09/03/2566341/chicago-sex-kindergarten/

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/08/31/obama-says-sex-education-for-kindergartners-right-thing-to-do-82495

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/danieldoherty/2013/08/30/chicago-we-need-to-teach-sex-ed-to-kindergarteners-n1687603

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...