Skip to main content

The Girl Without a Clue


My folks and I met up at a restaurant a while back. Whew. To say that our waitress wasn't with it and seemed to fit in with the stereotypical cheerleader would be quite the understatement. She came up to our table and asked if we had ever been there before.

My dad said, "Yeah, 73 times."

She looked confused and said, "No, really? 73 times?"

My mom then butted in and said, "No, you can't take anything he says seriously."

The gal (her name was/is Ruth) said, "Oh really? Okay," with a serious look on her face.

Alright, since the menus were different than how we remembered them, she went through the menu and noted on the buffalo wings, that they had barbecue, mild and spicy, but no teriyaki yet, which she thought was lame. She asked if we wanted anything as a starter.

My dad responded with, "Yeah, we'll get the teriyaki buffalo wings."

I watched her as he was saying that and she looked right at her pad of paper, wrote and didn't hesitate when he said that.

My dad then said, "You don't have teriyaki buffalo wings."

At this point, she looked pissed.

Later, when my folks got their salads, she asked if they wanted pepper. After she got done with them, I asked for some pepper. Please let it be noted that my plate was bare. I didn't get a salad. I was salad-less. My plate was naked. She was about to lean over and give me pepper, until I butted in and said, "I'm just kidding."

Oh, and I didn't even mention we got there at 6 and she asked if it was before 7, because Happy Hour ended at 7. She said at 6, "Well, I guess there are a couple minutes left in Happy Hour." Whew... She was special...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...