Skip to main content

Ah, Religious Hypocrisy At Its Finest and How That Makes My Back Tingle...

I realize we're all hypocrites to a certain degree. We've all, at least once in our lives, said something or claimed to believe something and went against those words or morals. Some do this at a greater frequency than others, there's no question, but we've all done this at least once. So, I'm not here to lay claim that I've never been hypocritical. I have. I don't believe I've done it very much, but I have been guilty of it before.

If there's one type of hypocrisy that drives me crazier than any other, it's when the holier-than-thou folks lecture, preach and shove their beliefs down others' throats, making themselves seem above it all and they then prove they're no better than any of us. I was witness to this again the other day.

First, let it be known that I am in no way religious. I could care less what a person believes, so long as they don't harm themselves or another in the name of their religion. So, with that in mind, here's the story.

Not long ago, I heard about a bar in the Omaha area, the owners of which I know personally, that is having doubts about serving a man whom is a regular customer there. This is an older gentleman, who fought for our country, pays well at the bar, makes a decent living for himself and seems to be friendly with the people there. BUT, I guess his teeth aren't the prettiest to look at and the way he dresses makes him appear to be a bum, even though he's not. So, his presence there makes some people uncomfortable, even though he doesn't smell bad, he's friendly, he pays well and he fought for this country.

So, when I heard this story, I stood up for the guy. Two people told me that some people were complaining, that he didn't dress well enough and he wasn't appealing to look at, etc. These two people claim to be Christian, to believe and worship a man, whom, according to scripture, was the least judgmental person in the history of man. So, they claim to believe and worship this being, to want nothing more than to follow in his footsteps, yet they pass judgment on a man whom fought for our country in war, pays well and is friendly, just because his appearance does not please the average person? How hypocritical can one be?

So, what? Back when segregation finally came to an end, if a restaurant or bar was without any African-Americans for the majority of an evening, but at some point, one or more walked in to get served, should the manager or owner have come forward and not allowed them in, because some may not have been comfortable with their being there? Yeah, that's moral and right. Not.

Shallowness bothers the hell out of me. What can we really tell about a person just from looking at them? We can tell if we find them physically attractive or not, but besides that? What? Can we tell if they're married? Single? Straight? Gay? Have kids? Work at a factory? Work at Wal-Mart? Enjoy video games? Collect bells? Watch the Chicago White Sox? Are porn stars? The only way we can get answers to these questions is if we sit down and talk to them. If we're uncomfortable with a person being around us simply because they may not appeal to us physically, then the problem is ours, not theirs. Would we ever want another to judge us in this manner? I highly doubt it, so why do the same to another? I don't want someone who doesn't know me in the slightest to judge me based on a quick glance. I would never want that and in turn, will never do that with regard to another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...