Skip to main content

The Dirtiest of Four-Letter Words


This word isn’t considered vulgar by the vast majority, but in my mind, it can be as vulgar as any other four-letter word in existence. The word I'm speaking of is "like”. 

I know, I know the word is just when used properly, such as when one shows an interest or pleasure in something. It's also just when used as a simile. But I’m not referring to such scenarios. I’m referring to when every other word that comes out of a person’s mouth is “like”. It doesn't matter whether or not it makes sense. It doesn't matter if he or she sounds stupid when speaking. All that seems to matter is that they include the word "like" into the conversation at least thirty-eight times in the span of five minutes. I would like to give a brief example of what I'm talking about in a made-up dialogue between a girl, whom is quite excited about a date she had, and her male friend. I call it, “The Valley Girl Complex”:

Bruce: “So, how was your date over the weekend?”

Trisha: “Oh my gosh, like, it was like so great!”

Bruce: “Oh yeah? That's great news! So, what'd you two go and do?”

Trisha: “Like, he came and picked me up, and like took me to a movie, and like, then we went to dinner, and like he dropped me off and like gave me a good night kiss. I think we're going to go out again, like, maybe on Friday.”

Bruce: “Wow!  That's awesome! I hope that goes well! I think Alexandria and I may go out on Friday, also. You think you might want to double with us?”

Trisha: “Like, oh my gosh, are you serious? Like, totally! I'm going to go and talk to Claude about it and I'm sure he'll like be totally cool with it. I'll like call you and let you know, okay?”

Bruce: “Okay, well, I got to get going to class now. I'll talk to you later. Take care.”

Trisha: “Yeah, you too Bruce, I'll like talk to you later, for sure.”

Okay, now is it just me, or after a while, is the only word you hear (read in this case) come out of Trisha's mouth, the word "like”? That's the problem I have. 

I took a public speaking course a few years ago and the words "umm," "uh," and "like" are called space-fillers. They fill in time after one has lost their train of thought or forgotten what to say for a split-second. By continually running their mouths, this gives them the false idea that they will come across as more intelligent, when it has the direct opposite effect. I better run along now. Reminiscent of what would occur in real life, having just typed that dialogue and reading the word “like” so many times, I think I need to grab some Advil and lay my head down for a bit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...