Skip to main content

Be careful - Healthcare.gov may come and get you!

Run to your basements! Bring some water, food, and a flashlight! Turn on the television for breaking updates! Make certain to bring your children with you, your spouse, and even your fish-tank with the one-eyed albino you call Cyclops Scissorhands! Armageddon is officially upon us! The Affordable Care Act is here!

::silence before the storm::

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, as of yesterday, you can check out your options under Obamacare at healthcare.gov. While there were numerous reports of the typical first-day glitches, it seems as though the site generated more visitors and enrollees than expected, and will be working in the coming days to make the experience smoother for more people. So while it appears as if the Affordable Care Act (::ahem Obamacare::) is off to a grand start and is polling better than Obamacare (don't ask...), some people are still convinced it's the end of the world as we know it (and they don't feel fine).

I saw numerous posts on Facebook regarding age-old Obamacare myths which have been debunked more times than Willie Nelson has smoked weed. It seems that some of these very people, even if they're already insured, won't take the time to explore other, potentially better options, because Obamacare has become their boogeyman.

Yes, according to these paranoids, I'm guessing they feel Obamacare can (will) do the following:

- Call them at three in the morning, and speaking into a voice changer, spookily say, "Rise and shine, Clarice."

- Follow them to work every day in a van labeled, "Freak You The F**k Out."

- Roofie your morning orange juice.

- Send Lorena Bobbitt clones to men's homes and O.J. Simpson clones to women's.

- Hack into their computers and give them viruses after looking at a site called IFeelDirtyAndNeedToSeeADoctorFromLookingAtAllThisPorn.gov.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...