Skip to main content

Wikipedia + Gattaca + Plagiarism = Rand Paul

Let's not beat around the bush here (no, especially not around Dubya) - Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is a strange guy. With that Chia Pet-like hair of his, he appears to some as a mad scientist, but to me he just looks plain mad. Paul didn't diminish this odd image of his any with the speech he gave yesterday at a rally in support of Virginia gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli. His speech centered around the '90s science-fiction film Gattaca and as pointed out by MSNBC host Rachel Maddow, it appears as if Mr. Paul may have taken the film's description directly from Wikipedia. Here are a few of the highlights (or lowlights):

Paul: "In the movie Gattaca--inthe not-too-distant future, eugenics is common. And DNA plays a primary role in determining your social class."

Wikipedia: "In the not-too-distant future, liberal eugenics is common and DNA plays the primary role in determining social class."


Paul: "Due to frequent screenings, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way to achieve his dream of being an astronaut is he has to become what's called a 'borrowed ladder.'"

Wikipedia: "Due to frequent screenings, Vincent faces genetic discrimination and prejudice. The only way he can achieve his dream of becoming an astronaut is to become a 'borrowed ladder.'"


Paul: "He assumes the identity of a Jerome Marrow, a world-class swimming star who's genetic profile is said to be 'second to none,' but he's been paralyzed in a car accident..."

Wikipedia: "He assumes the identity of Jerome Eugene Marrow, a former swimming star with a genetic profile 'second to none,' who had been injured in a car accident..."


Paul: "Jerome 'buys' his identity, uses his DNA-his blood, his hair, his tissue, his urine-to pass the screening."

Wikipedia: "Vincent 'buys' Jerome's identity and uses his 'valid' DNA in blood, hair, tissue, and urine samples to pass screening."

Sorry Rand, but it appears as if you got busted. Yeah, when asked who the three most influential people in his life were, Paul unhesitatingly answered, "Jesus, Ayn Rand, and Wikipedia." If Senator Paul runs for president, debates may have to be lengthened in order to give him time to research Wikipedia before answering questions.

Moderator: "Senator Paul, you've been an outspoken opponent of the Affordable Care Act or Obamacare, as some have called it. If you become president, what will you do to improve our healthcare system?"

Paul: "Could you give me one moment? I have to look something up on my phone here. It'll just take me a minute. Let me put on my glasses. If you see me continuing to look up and down when answering the question, don't worry, I'm not actually reading directly from Wikipedia or anything."

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2013/10/29/rand_paul_gattaca_did_rachel_maddow_catch_rand_paul_plagiarizing_wikipedia.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...