Skip to main content

Seattle's Monday night win was uglier than an obese Medusa on a bad hair day with morning breath

I like watching the Seattle Seahawks. In what is becoming increasingly rare in both the college and pro ranks, Seattle actually plays good and aggressive defense quite consistently. This is especially true of their secondary. When's the last time you heard football commentators agree that a team's secondary is tough? Anymore, the words tough secondary play like the ultimate of oxymorons in football. However, in saying all this, I think Seattle's 14-9 Monday night win against St. Louis may have redefined how to win ugly. I'm not sure I've seen an uglier win than the one displayed on Monday night.

Not only was Seattle penalized 10 times for 83 yards, but quarterback Russell Wilson got sacked a career high 7 times for a loss of 48 yards. Those aren't even the really crazy numbers I'm about to present. For the game, Seattle managed to convert only 7 first downs - 2 of those via penalty. They were just 2 for 11 on 3rd down (18.2%). They ran a mere 40 plays for the game, 31 fewer than St. Louis. On 18 pass attempts, the Seahawks gained 91 yards (5.1 per), and on 15 rushes, the team gained 44 yards (2.9 per). Yes, for the game, Seattle gained only 135 yards  from scrimmage (3.4 per play). Those numbers look bleak enough as it is, but I'm about to make them look a whole lot worse. You see, one of Seattle's two touchdowns came courtesy of an 80-yard pass from Russell Wilson to Golden Tate. Yes, a single play comprised 59.3% of the team's offense for the game. Without that one play, Seattle would have finished with just 55 yards of offense on 39 plays (1.4 per), and 11 yards passing on 17 attempts (0.6 per).

For the game, Seattle was: -16 in first downs, -31 in plays, -204 in yards, -48 in passing yards, -156 in rushing yards, -30 in penalty yards, -16:18 in time of possession, but +2 in turnovers. Yeah, as cliche as it may be, if a team wins the turnover battle, they have a chance at a victory, no matter how ugly it may be. The exception to this is the Dallas Cowboys, who seem to find ways to lose even when finishing a game +4 in turnover margin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...