Skip to main content

Yahoo's Eric Adelson was just waiting for the Philadelphia Eagles offense to fail

Whenever something new gets brought about in any field, it seems that the skeptics are just waiting for that moment it fails. It doesn't matter if the idea, strategy, or product had been successful fourteen consecutive times prior to that very moment, if it fails on attempt #15, the skeptics will shout in unison, "Ah-ha! See? I told you so!"

This seems to be the case with Yahoo sports-writer Eric Adelson, who, in light of the Philadelphia Eagles losing to the Dallas Cowboys 17-3 yesterday, wrote an article, titled, "Chip Kelly's warp speed attack doesn't look so revolutionary anymore in the NFL."

He starts his article with: "So about that Chip Kelly revolution..."

After bashing the Eagles, Adelson then lightens up and says this: "Kelly deserves to bring in more talent and make his way work, but this isn't Oregon anymore." Okay, he didn't lighten up a great deal. The skepticism is still well in tact.

Toward the end of his piece, Adelson says the following: "The past-paced offense needs time to adapt to the NFL, not the other way around."

While I'm sure Adelson enjoyed his Eagles-bashing session, let's get a few things straight here:

1. Before yesterday's game, the Eagles led the league in rushing yards (still do), and were among the league leaders in total yards and points. They've scored 30+ points in four of their seven games this season. They only did that once all of last season, in a 38-33 loss to the Dallas Cowboys.

2. The Eagles finished last year at 4-12. They're 3-4 at this point in the season and would only need to finish the year 2-7 to improve upon last year's record.

3. Philly has been banged up at wide receiver all year, losing starter Jeremy Maclin and others for the year. They're now also banged up at quarterback, with both Michael Vick and Nick Foles sidelined due to injuries.

4. This is Chip Kelly's first year in the NFL. He's made some rookie-like moves to this point in the season, but has been appearing to make some good adjustments. In any case, it's utterly impossible to prove the long-term effectiveness of a new coach's strategy based on a seven-game sample.

5. Believe it or not, but the Eagles are still in the hunt for the NFC East title, just one game back of Dallas, a half a game up on Washington, and two and a half up on the Giants.

There have been some definite bumps in the road for the Eagles offense, and there will continue to be, under first-year head coach Chip Kelly. However, skeptics like Eric Adelson should at least admit that the team's offensive production has vastly improved from last year to this year. In 16 games last season, the team eclipsed 30 points just once. In 7 games this season, its eclipsed that point four times. While doubts are understandable, credit should be given as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--chip-kelly-s-warp-speed-attack-doesn-t-look-so-revolutionary-anymore-in-the-nfl-231637202.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...