Skip to main content

A Fox News guest blames a rape victim

Yet another man has come forward in partially blaming a rape victim for that very crime. On Fox News' Shepard Smith Reports, attorney Joseph DiBenedetto made the following statement in light of news that a Missouri teenager had been raped by a classmate:

"What did she expect to happen at one in the morning after sneaking out? I'm not saying - assuming that these facts are accurate and this did happen - I'm not saying she deserved to be raped, but knowing the facts as we do here including what the prosecutor has set forth, this case is going nowhere and it's going nowhere quick."

To his credit, host Shepard Smith followed DiBenedetto's despicable remarks by saying this: "What you've done, Joseph, is taken tan alleged victim of rape and turned her into a liar and a crime committer. That's a far jump from a thousand miles away."

I love how people like DiBenedetto believe that if X goes out past a certain time in a certain area and is the victim of a crime, then he or she was asking for it! Where's the sympathy? The empathy? The compassion? What if it was DiBenedetto's daughter who had been out fairly late and had been raped? Would he have the same reaction? "Well, she should have known better." I highly doubt it... No matter how late it is, no matter how much alcohol one has drank, no one deserves to be raped. Mathematically speaking, while someone whom goes out late and gets intoxicated places themselves at a higher risk of being raped, that still does not mean it was their fault they were raped. I'm getting a little sick and tired of these male rape apologists. Maybe they and rapists alike should start thinking more with their conscience (if they have one) and less with their penis.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/joseph-dibenedetto-rape-missouri-teen_n_4118899.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...