Skip to main content

Matt Schaub deserves better than this

While I've poked fun at Houston Texans quarterback Matt Schaub's knack for throwing the pick-six this season and have been critical of him in the past for having trouble winning big games, the guy deserves better than the treatment he's received from sports-writers and fans alike.

ESPN just reported that a Houston Texans fan went to Schaub's home and "told him off." Another "fan" took pictures of Schaub's family and posted them on Facebook. Security is now looking into the matters.

While I can understand fans wanting their teams to win, no player deserves for he and his family to feel threatened. As far as I'm concerned, no true fan would do such a thing, and I sincerely hope security sorts out matters so Schaub and his family don't have to go through any other such disturbances.

Let's get something else straight - Schaub isn't the Houston Texans only problem. The guy has been an efficient quarterback for the team for the six years leading up to this one. His completion percentage those years was anywhere between 61.0 and 67.9. He's thrown 104 touchdown passes and 64 interceptions in that same time. His quarterback rating range was also remarkably consistent, from 87.2 to 98.6. With Schaub at starting quarterback, the team was decent at first, but had trouble getting over the hump until 2011, when they went 10-6 and followed that with a 12-4 season a year ago. At 2-3 this season, they look to even their record with a win over the 2-3 St. Louis Rams this coming weekend.

Who would the Texans turn to if they benched Schaub? T.J. Yates? The guy has only played in 12 games in his NFL career, has a 59.7% completion rate, has thrown 3 touchdown passes and 4 interceptions, and has a quarterback rating of 75.4. No matter how much Schaub has struggled in the early part of this season, he would likely give the team a better chance to win than T.J. Yates. Schaub's problem right now likely isn't physical, but mental. He's struggling, knows that, is over-thinking, and placing too much pressure on himself to succeed. The last thing he needs right now is for the media to talk about benching him and for fans to verbally harass or threaten him. What fans and teammates should be doing is lifting his spirits through support so he can alleviate some of that pressure and be more prone to being the same efficient quarterback in year seven as he was in years one through six.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9795996/fan-tells-matt-schaub-houston-texans-home

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...