Skip to main content

ESPN reports that Nick Fairley saying his team will be going to the Super Bowl is big news. Big compared to what? Dust?

Sometimes I really wonder why articles are written, and this has especially been the case over at ESPN in recent weeks it seems. Well, ESPN is at it again, thanks to Kevin Seifert's recent article, entitled, "Nick Fairley: Lions will be Super."

When Seifert asked Detroit Lions defensive tackle Nick Fairley about his thoughts on the upcoming season for his team, Fairley said, "I expect big things. I am going to say we are going to the Super Bowl because I am competitive, and that is what I want for the team, and it is one of the goals. I am sure we are going to take it game by game and day by day."

Seifert then commented on Fairley's statement by saying history wasn't in the Lions favor, having gone just 4-12 a year ago.

Come on... For how many years have players been saying exactly what Fairley said in the run-up to the regular season? What did Seifert expect Fairley to say? "Gee, I don't know, man. We were just 4-12 a year ago, so if we go 5-11, we'll see it as a success - a step in the right direction. Hopefully at this pace, we'll be able to finish 10-6 in a few years and make the playoffs again. A guy can only hope." Is that what Seifert was anticipating? Give me a break.

My point is that Mr. Seifert made this story out to be big news, but it's about as big as a piece of dust divided by 976.2.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9259106/nick-fairley-predicts-super-bowl-detroit-lions-2013

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...