Skip to main content

Kevin D. Williamson's vile and callous comments regarding Gabby Giffords

In a post made on the right-wing site National Review Online, conservative blogger Kevin D. Williamson wrote the following regarding former Democratic Arizona Representative Gabby Giffords, who was shot in the head about two years ago and is a major proponent for gun control legislation:

"While Ms. Giffords certainly has my sympathy for the violence she suffered, it should be noted that being shot in the head by a lunatic does not give one any special grace to pronounce upon public-policy questions, nor does it give one moral license to call people 'cowards' for holding public-policy views at variance with one's own. Her childish display in the New York Times is an embarrassment."

This makes sense. Gabby Giffords referred to the Senate as a bunch of cowards due to their failing to pass a background check expansion bill on gun purchases not long ago. The bill failed by the final tally of 54-46. While 54% of the Senators supported the bill, 90% of the American people support such a measure. For 46 Senators to vote against 90% of the people in this country in order to please the NRA and anger President Obama I would say is a definite act of cowardice.

On the other end of things, for Mr. Williamson to tell a person who was shot in the head that her awful experience "does not give" her "any special grace to pronounce upon public-policy questions, nor does it give" her "moral license to call people 'cowards' for holding public-policy views at variance with" her "own. Her childish display in the New York Times is an embarrassment," his behavior can't even be described as childish. That would be too complimentary for such vile and callous words. No, Kevin D. Williamson's words, attitude, and behavior are well below that of childishness. They're inhuman.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2013/04/18/national-review-online-calls-giffords-childish/193690

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...