Skip to main content

Senator who voted against background checks proposes a governmental background check

Republican Oklahoma Senator Tom Coburn was one of 46 Senators to recently reject the bill which would have expanded background checks on firearm purchases.

Coburn is now attempting to pass legislation which would require all government agencies to "report the number and types of firearms owned, purchased or lost each year" - in other words, a background check.

While I'd be perfectly fine with the government receiving background checks regarding firearms, it's not at all consistent for Coburn and like-minded individuals to believe in such legislation and reject background checks for everyone else. It would be akin to Coburn saying these following lines:

- "Parents should be obligated to tell their children who they're with and what they're doing when they're out and about, but kids shouldn't have to do that. That would be unconstitutional!"

- "Bosses need to disclose every bit of information at their disposal to their workers. Workers, on the other hand, should go on strike if they're asked to do the same. That's what the Founding Fathers would do!"

- "Coaches need to have their backgrounds checked, just in case they were involved in any criminal activity previously. Players shouldn't have to go through that, though, for it's against the Bible!"

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/05/08/1978361/gop-lawmaker-pushes-conspiracy-theory-in-water-bill-amendment/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...