Skip to main content

Washington Post "fact-checker" Glenn Kessler gets four facepalms (out of four)

As I've said before, while I love fact-checking to the point where some may call me obsessive about it, even I will admit that sometimes fact-checkers go too far. I brought this up a couple weeks ago when Republican New Jersey Governor was fact-checked for saying his favorite cartoon at four years of age was Scooby-Doo. Since that cartoon wasn't around when he was four, the fact-checker made it known to the world that this couldn't be true. That resulted in a facepalm on my part. I can't even remember what my favorite shows were when I was ten years old, let alone four. Give the guy a break. It's not like he was trying to woo the vote of a 4-year old kid, or if he runs for the presidency, the undecideds will potentially break the other way due to Scoobygate.

That brings me to another such scenario, and actually, this one may be worse than Scoobygate, if you can believe that. At least with Scoobygate, the fact-checker contended that Christie could get a "pass" on the slip-up due to possibly forgetting what his favorite show was at a specific age. In this more recent case, fact-checker Glenn Kessler of The Washington Post felt the need to fact-check President Obama's recent claim that he referred to Benghazi as an "act of terrorism" immediately following the attacks.

In the day or two following the attacks, the president put forth these very quotes:

"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolves of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for."

"We want to send a message all around the world - anybody who would do us harm: No act of terror will dim the light of the values that we proudly shine on the rest of the world, and no act of violence will shake the resolve of the United States of America."

"I want people around the world to hear me. To all those who would do us harm, no act of terror will go unpunished. It will not dim the light of the values that we proudly present to the rest of the world. No act of violence shakes the resolve of the United States of America."

So, the president referred to Benghazi as an "act of terror" on multiple occasions in the days following the attacks, three letters short of calling them acts of "terror-ism."

How did Mr. Kessler grade Obama's claim that he referred to Benghazi as an act of "terrorism"? Four out of four Pinnochio's, meaning it was so misleading, Pinnochio's nose would extend from here (Ohio) to Russia if he told such a fib. That's right, a difference of three letters provides four Pinnochio's.

I have to say that this "fact-check" by Mr. Kessler resulted in four giant faceplams from me (out of four).

Let's look at the definitions of these two words:

Terrorism is defined as "the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political reasons."

Terror is defined as "violence or threats of violence used for intimidation or coercion; terrorism."

So, here's what President Obama, in essence, claimed he said:

"They were acts of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political reasons."

Here's what he actually said:

"They were acts of violence used for intimidation or coercion; terrorism."

President Obama's claim deserves four Pinnochio's like Mr. Kessler deserves four Pulitzer Prizes for his profound findings. What he really deserves is four facepalms, which he's about to receive right now, courtesy of me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/obamas-claim-he-called-benghazi-an-act-of-terrorism/2013/05/13/7b65b83e-bc14-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_blog.html

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terror?s=t

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...