Skip to main content

When the tables are turned on "religious freedom"...

Let's make no mistake about it, the "religious freedom" laws being passed in this country are the 21st century's version of Jim Crow laws. While everyone is free to believe as they so choose in their private time, laws have been continually enforced in order to prevent one's personal beliefs from impeding on others' rights when in the workplace. "Religious freedom" laws, like Jim Crow laws, are allowing people's personal beliefs and biases to be carried over into the workplace, preventing certain demographics from being treated as equals in the process. For those who are supporting such legislation, claiming that these laws aren't discriminatory and are just about protecting religious freedom, allow me to run through a pair of scenarios for you...

Scenario #1

Chip Beelzebub: "Hi, and welcome to The Sweetest of Cakes Atheist Bakery. How are you doing this fine day?"

Mary Virgin: "Good, thanks"

Chip: "What can I do for you?"

Mary: "I'd like to buy a cake."

Chip: "Ah, for any special reason?"

Mary: "A wedding"

Chip: "Well, congratulations!"

Mary: "Thanks!"

Chip: "Mind me asking if you're a Christian?"

Mary: "Yes, why?"

Chip: "Well, I'm sorry, but I can't provide you with any of our products or services."

Mary: "Why not?"

Chip: "It's company policy to not serve Christians. We here at SOCAB strongly disagree with their beliefs, and due to the religious freedom bill, it's legal for us to deny these customers service."

Mary: "Oh, okay, well, that makes sense. Have a nice day!"

Chip: "You too, and once again, congratulations!"

Yeah, like that would ever happen...


Scenario #2

Chip Beelzebub: "Hi, and welcome to The Sweetest of Cakes Atheist Bakery. How are you doing this fine day?"

Mary Virgin: "Good, thanks"

Chip: "What can I do for you?"

Mary: "I'd like to buy a cake."

Chip: "Ah, for any special reason?"

Mary: "A wedding"

Chip: "Well, congratulations!"

Mary: "Thanks!"

Chip: "Mind me asking if you're a Christian?"

Mary: "Yes, why?"

Chip: "Well, I'm sorry, but I can't provide you with any of our products or services."

Mary: "Why not?"

Chip: "It's company policy to not serve Christians. We here at SOCAB strongly disagree with their beliefs, and due to the religious freedom bill, it's legal for us to deny these customers service."

Mary: "What?!? You can't do that! That's discrimination!"

Chip: "No it's not; it's religious freedom."

Mary: "Discrimination!"

Chip: "Religious freedom."

Mary: "Discrimination! Why don't you force us to go in separate restrooms and drink from separate water fountains while you're at it, like they did with blacks back in the day?!?"

Chip: "That's completely different. Blacks were deprived of services due to their race, meanwhile you're being denied services because of your creed. Like I said, completely different."


"Religious freedom," the law which uses religion to deny others freedom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...