Skip to main content

Condemned for a lifestyle "choice"? Another ridiculous argument by the uber-religious against homosexuals

I got into an interesting (sort of) discussion with someone very close to me last week. Somehow, the discussion transitioned to homosexuality. I guess his wife, due to being a die-hard Christian, still isn't okay with the concept. This guy then said he doesn't necessarily agree it's a sin, but wanted to play devil's advocate and saying that these individuals would be condemned to hell unless they changed their lifestyle, because they'd die sinners.

I'm agnostic, so I am rather convinced (unless I can be proven wrong) that it is virtually impossible for a person to either prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a God does or doesn't exist. Given that and having been raised a Christian, I can't understand the before-mentioned logic.

According to Christianity, there was a man whom lived a perfect life and died as a sacrifice for man's sins. If people believe him to be the savior and ask forgiveness for their sins, they will live eternally in a paradise referred to as heaven. Since this man felt the need to do this, it can be presumed that everyone else is sinful to a certain extent. It's also stated that, in God's eyes, all sins are equal. Whether I tell a little white lie, cheat on an exam, commit adultery, etc., they're all sins and will be forgiven if asked, in conjunction with believing that Jesus is the savior and son of God.

Okay, so given all of that, what makes the homosexual lifestyle, even if it is considered sinful, worse of a crime in God's eyes than a heterosexual's lifestyle? Whether one is heterosexual or homosexual, according to The Bible, they live a sinful life. So how can we say that a homosexual will not be saved due to their "sinful" lifestyle, if one wants to refer to it as such, when heterosexuals live a sinful lifestyle? Isn't this a bit of a double-standard? So how is orientation relevant in this argument? If I'm gay, I will inevitably sin according to organized religion. If I'm straight, I will inevitably sin according to organized religion. Why on earth would, if the story is true, I be permitted to enter heaven given all the sins I've committed, while a homosexual is prohibited due to his or her orientation? Logically speaking, this makes absolutely no sense to me and even though I can appreciate a person playing devil's advocate to stimulate thought and conversation, this was a very poor attempt at doing that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...