Skip to main content

He has a plan, eh?

I know I've written about this before, but read a Facebook status today saying something along the lines of, "Life is good. I knew God had a better plan for me."

It seems like 40% of Christians believe exclusively in free will, 40% believe in predestination and 20% believe in both. I have no sources to back up these numbers and I honestly have no idea how accurate they are, but it's just a rough guesstimate.

I understand the free will argument. I don't believe in it, but understand if one believes in predestination. I can't for the life of me understand the two concepts co-existing with one another. But, also bothersome to me is this illusory self-designated predestination. "He has a plan for me" or "He has a plan for you". Really? Isn't that a tad narcissistic to think like that? Things are going well for me, so that translates to God having a good plan for me? What about the child born with AIDS? The raped woman? The abused homosexual? Were those God's plans too?

That's always bugged me. When things are going good, then let's praise God and make it known that our good fortune is all part of his divine plan. When things aren't going so well, then let's not even mention his name. When a sports team wins a championship, give thanks to God, but when the team loses, well, we were just outplayed.

All I ask for is consistency. Is there free will for all? Does God have a plan for everyone? Is it part of his plan only when things go well and not so much when things don't? Does he have a plan for a select few people and everyone else is on their own?

I shouldn't get my hopes up, though. Perhaps I should just start drinking the kool-aid and see where that gets me. Tropical Punch please...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...