Skip to main content

What is the appeal of one-night stands?

A friend of mine recently told me that for whatever number of people a man or woman says they've slept with, you can multiply that by two or three to get a more accurate answer, due to one-night stands. Is this true? Are one night-stands that common? She has been known to get around as I found out not long ago and had lied to me about them all, so I'm not sure how credible a source she is. Is she actually being honest or attempting to make herself feel okay with her past decisions? As usual, I imagine the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

I myself have never engaged in a one-night stand and never will. I've been offered several times, especially in recent months at bars, but have turned all 8 or so of them down. Perhaps that's why there's a rumor going around that I'm gay. So, what's the appeal? A person is illustrating the ultimate trust in a complete stranger by giving them their body for a night, not knowing where the other person has been, if they possess a STD, are married, are a criminal, etc. That one night, he or she could make up an entirely false identity in order to bait the man/woman and slowly lure them in until they achieve their goal which is sleeping with them. I'd feel paranoid if I ever engaged in that with a woman. I'd feel dirty. I'd be paranoid about STD's and pregnancy (with regard to her, not myself). I'd want to immediately get tested.

I'd have to imagine alcohol and/or drugs is/are typically a factor in people engaging in said activity, as their inhibitions are severely reduced and with that, their decision-making won't be ideal. Even if that's the case, I don't see it as an excuse. I've rejected any and every person whom has offered me with sex while I've been intoxicated. It's not that difficult - No. It's just one syllable, equal to the word "yes," and even possesses one fewer letter than the latter term.

I'm about as liberal as they come (no pun intended, I don't believe), but have an issue with spreading my body around carelessly, risking disease, pregnancy and self-respect. I just hope all the stories I hear and read about are more of an aberration than a trend. I've kept myself as clean as is possible through the years, treated sex as something sacred and special, something I'll only allow myself to experience with someone very special in my life. I sometimes feel like I'm the only such person around anymore. Hopefully someone can prove me wrong and be only willing to engage in sex when it's in conjunction with love as opposed to just giving oneself up for pleasure void of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...