Skip to main content

I can't say I find the majority of runway models attractive. There is such a thing as too thin...

When I lost 45 lbs., I was told by some I was getting too skinny. I'm 5'9'', which is the exact average of American males (not so much for those in the Netherlands, where I'd be seen as a little person). At my peak weight, I was at 186. Most people didn't see this, because I wore pretty loose clothing and was able to hide the weight a bit, as it couldn't be noticed very much in my face, arms or legs when I happened to wear shorts or short-sleeved shirts. It was mainly in the stomach region. When I finally got set and determined to shed a few pounds, I just stopped eating fast food for a while, junk food, most fried food, switched from soda and Gatorade to water and started working out more. I just tried living a more healthy lifestyle than I had been and was really strict with myself for a long while, as I hadn't really lost a lot of weight previously and wanted to make certain I did this time around. Over the past few months, I've been a little more lax when it comes to the before-mentioned bad habits. I haven't put on much more weight, but have just learned to moderate my consumption of fried, junk and fast food, soda, etc. I used to be able to drink six cans of Dr. Pepper in a single day. Now I can only drink about half a can in one sitting and will only do that about once every 1-2 weeks. I may snack on some chips and pretzels, but instead of eating most of the bag in one sitting, I'll just have a handful and be satisfied. For some reason, there's a craving for fast food at times, but those cravings are few and far between, like once a month, as opposed to several times a week. I'd say I'm around 145 or so in weight, am living a pretty healthy life and feel pretty good about how I look at the moment. While I enjoyed and felt very good about myself upon losing all that weight, I knew when to stop. I didn't agree with some of the older people whom said I was too skinny, but I knew it was time to stop. I'd never starve myself or throw up after eating. I've always strived to look athletic and healthy as opposed to thin.

I can understand a person wanting to be "thin". I'm thin. It's okay to be thin, so long as a person is healthy. Some people are just naturally thin. A cousin of mine and also my brother can eat more than I can at a given meal, yet they don't have to worry about gaining any weight. They're just naturally thin with great metabolism. But, there is such a thing as too thin and I see it quite frequently in the modeling world. This isn't "natural" and it's not healthy. In my opinion, it's highly unattractive.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/08/julia-schneider-elite-model-skinny_n_1136247.html#s528479

How can that be considered appealing? She is reminiscent of what many envision aliens looking like and she's not the only one, as can be seen by scrolling through the photos on that site and many others. Many people whom work with models say their being extra thin is "natural" and "necessary" for the clothing that they present. If that latter "reason" is true on any level, I think some changes have to be made, because these women's health is of greater importance than feeling that unhealthy look and lifestyle best serves the clothing in which they present to the masses.

Models didn't always look this way. Marilyn Monroe was up to 140 at one time and a size 14 dress and had a great figure. Cindy Crawford was a size 6. Many such models nowadays are size 2's, some even 0's. So, why the change? Was it "necessary" for women to be size 2's and borderline anorexic according to the Body Mass Index? If it wasn't necessary then, why is it necessary now?

To me and most guys I know, a woman with curves is more attractive than one without. Being thin (to average), healthy and proportionate is very attractive to most guys - the models of yesteryear. The models nowadays tend to have the figure of guys. Sure, I can admit that some guys are physically attractive, but I'm not sexually attracted to them and that's the same for most men out there (with exceptions, of course). Why would heterosexual men be more attracted to a woman with a boy-like figure than Marilyn Monroe?

I mean, it's fine if a woman doesn't have much of a chest or bottom, yet there's still some meat on her bones. In many of these pictures, the women's faces look almost lifeless - skeletal. I don't understand why it's frowned upon nowadays to have runway models with an actual figure present clothing to the masses. I can guarantee they would receive many more oohs and ahs from males and females alike.

Another really sad part about this trend is the fact many young women today look up to such figures to pattern their appearance after, so they wind up dieting at a very young age and don't feel secure with themselves unless they reach X weight, even though they may already be thin. Why not look up to the women of the past, such as the before-mentioned Marilyn Monroe, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman or more recently, someone like Sofia Vergara. I wish we'd stop implanting in young women's minds that the model-look is what men find most attractive. We don't. Just like many women want guys to look like "guys," not being fearful of having a few whiskers, hairs where they may have any (thank you, shaver), a scent which isn't reminiscent of a flower, eyebrows which aren't thinner than theirs, some muscle, etc., many guys want their women to look more like "women" and not their friend Jim. No offense to Jim...

Women are beautiful just the way they are. There's really no reason to alter their appearance to be reminiscent of a man's. I'm now thinking it should be required listening/viewing for models to listen to/see Sir Mix-A-Lot's song/video "Baby Got Back". The models will then have to make a video of their own, singing the before-mentioned song. What I'd pay to see a bunch of models rapping the words, "I like big butts and I cannot lie..." But, ladies, you're beautiful just the way you are. Stay that way, for both your health and for receiving a healthy dose of compliments and stares from the opposite (and even the same) sex.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun

The difference between "looking" and "checking out"

I may be way off with these numbers, but it's my approximation that at least 75% of individuals whom are involved in a serious relationship feel it's perfectly acceptable to "check out" members of the opposite sex they're not involved with. Meanwhile, approximately 25% either don't feel this is acceptable or aren't sure about the matter. I hadn't thought about this matter for a while, but since I've been dating a woman for about 8 months, the topic has been pondered about some. When reading or hearing others discuss this very issue, I often times hear comments similar to the following: "It's human nature to look." "There's nothing wrong with checking others out. I'm sure he/she does it too!" "It's fine to do it. Just don't tell your boyfriend/girlfriend about it or do it in front of them!" "It's natural to find people attractive." When observing the array of comments, I i

The verdict is in. To no one's surprise, Jonathan Hoenig has been found guilty of being an idiot.

Just recently, when discussing the Michael Brown shooting and whether or not race had anything to do with it, Fox News contributor Jonathan Hoenig said, "You know who talks about race? Racists." One moment while I provide Mr. Hoenig with the well deserved slow-clap. :: slow-claps for two seconds :: So, that was quite the line by Mr. Hoenig, wasn't it? "You know who talks about race? Racists." Well, wasn't he just talking about race? So, by his own words, I guess that makes him a racist. Also, if he wants to be consistent, does this mean that people whom talk about gender are sexists and people whom talk about sexual orientation are homophobes? With that line of thinking, Hoenig would engage in the following back-and-forths: Hoenig: "So, who are you voting for?" A woman: "The Democratic candidate, because he's been adamant about his support for equal rights for women." Hoenig: "You sexist feminist nazi!"