Skip to main content

Cultural Sensitivities

I just read an article regarding Tim Tebow and asking the hypothetical, "What if he were a Muslim? Would American still love him?"

The article brought up an interesting question at the start, but the substance of it was lacking. In any case, it prompted many comments from members of the site.

Many talked about how the United States, while extra sensitive toward Muslims, is not at all sensitive toward Christians and that it was the same case with regard to ethnicities other than Caucasians.

First off, tv shows and comedy skits typically portray Muslims as terrorists. If that's not insensitive, I'm not sure what is. Often times, blacks are portrayed as lazy and "gangster," Hispanics portrayed as illegals or working a hard-working, low-paying kind of job. However, most of the skits or comedy bits center around Christianity and whites. Why is this? The majority of people in this country whom practice religion are Christians and the majority of people in this country are Caucasian. I remember some people making a big deal about the film "Paul" poking fun at Christianity and not other religions. Will the viewing public understand Christian references more than Muslim or Buddhist ones? Yes. Since they understand said references, will they then be more inclined to laugh at the jokes? Again, yes. If a comedian or group of comedians want to gain the most potential traction with their jokes or skit, they'll likely want to include the widest possible audience whom would relate to, understand and laugh at the joke(s). Joking about religions which are rather foreign to most people in this country wouldn't make a whole lot of sense if they wanted to make a big splash with the public. Also, it is common in this country to be a bit more sensitive to those whose rights have been hindered by their gender, race, creed, orientation, etc. Yes, we all have the right to vote, but that wasn't always the case. Women are still only making $0.78 to the $1.00 that men make. Blacks are often times still the victims of racism. Gays do NOT have equal rights and face a host of other obstacles due to their orientation, including hate crimes. Muslims have been fighting for approval ever since the 9/11 attacks. Due to all this, yes, we tend to be a bit more sensitive to such people. No, some third-world countries may not be as sensitive to religions, ethnicities or orientations outside the majority, but that's what makes this country stand apart from them. I don't see that as something we should complain about. It's something that we should be  proud about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...