Skip to main content

Stop it with the prevent defense...

Yeah, I just complimented him in a blog last night, but in yesterday's Rutgers/Iowa State game, college football announcer/analyst, Jesse Palmer, got on Rutgers defensive coordinator's case for playing prevent defense with the Scarlet Knights up 27-13 midway in the 4th quarter.

Like I said yesterday, I'm beginning to think Palmer may be my twin, excluding the hair and money and other things. I've been repeating this very line about the prevent defense for I don't know how long - don't drop back into the prevent when up in the 4th quarter. Go with what's been working throughout the course of the game. I can't tell you how many times a team will be up two scores midway or fairly late in the 4th quarter only to drop back in the prevent, allow an easy score, recover an onside kick and either tie or win the game in the closing seconds. Don't believe me? Look at Tim Tebow this year. The Miami Dolphins were up late in the 4th. What'd they do? Went into the prevent. What happened? They lost in overtime. The Chicago Bears were up in the 4th quarter. What'd they do? Went into the prevent. What happened? They lost in overtime.

If it's a three score game, I can understand this strategy somewhat, because it's attempting to prevent the big play downfield, the quick score and sacrificing yards for time drained from the clock. This is also the case on offense, where a team may run the ball three consecutive plays toward the tail-end of the game to force their opponent to burn timeouts and/or waste time. Again, if it's a three-score game, I can understand this strategy. However, if it's just a two score game, I don't. Again, go with what has been working.

The problem with these strategies, especially on defense is that, while the prevent is attempting to prevent the quick, big play, it's allowing the 10-15 yard completions with ease and if tackles are missed, these short to intermediate routes can wind up being the very big plays which the prevent defense was attempting to, well, prevent. I don't care how inaccurate a quarterback is throwing the ball (i.e. Tebow), if he isn't getting any pressure and is allowed a wide open receiver about 10-15 yards away, he'll be able to make those very completions 9 times out of 10.

If the blitz has been working, if the opposing quarterback has been rattled and forced into making some bad decisions, keep that pressure on him. I find it ridiculously stupid to suddenly move away from what has been working for most of the game. By playing prevent defense, not only is the defending team sacrificing yards for time spent, they're also sacrificing points and on many occasions, those very sacrifices cost a team the game.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...