Skip to main content

Not again... Garry Marshall does "Valentine's Day" and now "New Year's Eve"? Singles Unite!!!

When I saw the trailer for Garry Marshall's "Valentine's Day" last year, I had to be rushed to the hospital, as I was suffering from Linda Blair complex and my eyes were stuck in the back of my head from rolling them so far. I could tell from the previews that it was going to be God-awful. I enjoy some romantic comedies, those that include good chemistry between the leads, genuine dialogue, solid acting and direction and a somewhat different twist to the very formulaic plot of the genre. I had a good hunch that "Valentine's Day" wasn't going to include any of those and critics agreed with me. Sadly, the movie made $110.0 million.

On the site RottenTomatoes.com, 33 critics were showcased rating the film favorably, while 149 rated it poorly, an 18% favorable rating with an average score of 3.8 out of 10. Some of the headlines for the reviews were as follows:


“A perfect date movie: you’ll miss absolutely nothing of merit if you make out in the back row instead of watching the film.” - Tim Brayton (Antagony & Ecstasy)

“I loved a couple of the scenes in Valentine’s Day: the opening credits and the closing credits.” - Gary Wolcott (Tri-City Herald)

“Hope they had fun making Valentine’s Day. There’s little to be had watching it.” - Robert W. Butler (Kansas City Star)

“About as personal and memorable as a seasonal card your significant other snatches up from a local Duane Reade at the last minute.” - Simon Abrams (Slant Magazine)

“Light your money on fire and watch it burn. It will have an equivalent entertainment value and you’ll save on gas, parking and snacks.” - Marshall Fine (Hollywood & Fine)

Garry Marshall has now directed "New Year's Eve," which will be arriving in theaters nationwide this coming Friday. Like with "Valentine's Day," I began to groan at the sight of this trailer. Even my mother asked me after seeing the trailer, "Does this remind you of 'Valentine's Day'?"

I laughed and told her, "Funny story. It's actually the same director who did 'Valentine's Day'."

So, 8 reviews are in and 7 are rotten (13% favorable thus far) with an average score of 4.6 out of 10.

Some of the headlines for the reviews are as follows:


“Offering around a dozen barely there, aggressively agreeable mini-stores spliced together and spit out with lawnmower-style eloquence, the film is pushed to punishing lengths by the engorged cast list.” - Andrew Barker (Variety)

“The result proves to be as appealing and effervescent as a flute of flat champagne.” - Michael Rechtshaffen (Hollywood Reporter)

“If there is some kind of world record for schmaltz, this may have set it.” - Jake Coyle (Associated Press)

“Mayans might have predicted the end of the world in 2012, but could they have known that the countdown to eternal hellfire would begin with Garry Marshall’s New Year’s Eve?” - Melissa Anderson (Village Voice)

“This is a party you can’t wait to be over.” - Tim Grierson (Screen International)

So, what's next? Really? What movie will Garry Marshall next direct to depress singles and simultaneously make couples gag? He's already taken care of "Valentine's Day" and "New Year's Eve" - arguably the two most depressing holidays for singles. He will be hard-pressed to find another such day to provoke singles to hibernate for a while. I shouldn't tempt him. I dared Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg to make a film following their disaster "Date Movie" and they've gone on to make several other atrocious films. So, forget I even said that, Mr. Marshall. Carry on. Wait, no, don't do that either. Eh...whatever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...