Skip to main content

Television Addiction

Does your life revolve around watching a certain show? Several shows? Every day? So many shows, that you have to tape a few of them on different VCR's as you watch another? If this is you, then you suffer from an addiction to the television.

What's your motivation when you get up in the morning? What motivates you at work or at home? Doing paperwork? Running errands? Doing chores? Is it to clean the house? To get things done? Just the feeling of accomplishment? Or is it because you need everything done by 7:00 pm, when "your" show is scheduled to air?

What if a child of yours is ill? What if an old friend of yours is in town for the day? Can you find it in yourself to tape yet another show or is there one show you HAVE to watch? The child can take care of himself. The friend will be in town some other day. The fire can put itself out. The car can park itself.

When sitting in front of the screen, is everything else a blur? Could one hear if a tornado was approaching or if an airplane crashed in the backyard? All that matters is what's on the tube at that moment in time.

Know anyone like this? I certainly do. If there isn't a particular show on for a day, then they lose all motivation to do anything, because, well, what's the point, anyway? But, if "24," "Two and a Half Men," "New Adventures with Old Christine," "ER," "Joey," "Boston Legal," "Numbers," "The West Wing," "CSI: Miami," "CSI: Las Vegas," "CSI: the other one," "NCIS," "The Unit," "Commander-in-Chief," amongst others, are on, then hold the phone, hold the door and doorbell, put everything on hold, because they will be zoned out in front of that television screen. If there was only a job that paid to zone out in front of the television, this person and many others, would be millionaires. Yeah, let's hope that doesn't happen. The obesity problem we currently have in this country would seem like nothing compared to what it'd be like if people made millions from sitting on a couch and watching television.

Solution to the problem: Turn the tv off, go outside, and jog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...