Skip to main content

Apology and Forgiveness Complexity

Are there certain rules and guidelines by which to go when it comes to apologizing, accepting an apology and/or forgiving when another comes forward and apologizes? Are there events that one shouldn't even confront another about or be willing to be confronted about?

I haven't seen my abuser since I was eight years old. Is it wrong of me to want to see him straighten his life out, to stand up to him face-to-face, receive an honest apology and walk away from the situation on a more positive note? Most people I know just say to forget about it, to put it behind me, that it'd be crazy for me to confront him about it. Wouldn't that provide closure, though? Wouldn't it be more likely for me to move past the situation once I received that closure as opposed to trying to deny it ever happened?

If a girlfriend just up and left me without any notice, wouldn't that linger in the back of my mind until I found out what really happened? I may block it out after a while, but if she up and called, everything I had been blocking would come back to life. Why's it such a crime to confront one's past demons to try and close the chapter, as opposed to leaving a bookmark in the page for the rest of his/her life?

I just don't believe how one can move past a situation until they've dealt with it. If I had an addiction to alcohol, I couldn't just pretend that it didn't exist and expect it to vanish, right? How are the before-mentioned situations any different? For every chapter in our lives where we've placed a bookmark and skipped ahead, we'll eventually have to go back to the bookmarked page(s) and attempt to close the chapter. One cannot fully move on to chapter 8 until they've finished the first seven chapters. That's how I look at things. I just wish I could further understand why many others I've spoken to believe it's best to leave chapters of one's life unfinished and pretend that the chapter didn't exist in the first place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...