Skip to main content

Political Commercials



Have you seen these?  When I lived in Nebraska, I don't think I witnessed one commercial with a Democratic candidate. They were all Republicans. This made the commercials even more humorous for me to watch. Why? They all said the same dang thing! The only difference was the photos of Nebraska that were displayed, the voice in the background and then the actual picture of the candidate. Those were the only differences.

"He's a Conservative Nebraska Republican. Border security, traditional marriage, pro-life and family values are all very important to this candidate. Vote for yadda-yadda-yadda and vote for a Conservative Nebraska Republican whom you can trust."

Yes, they all sounded like that. There's always so much sugar-coating and BS in these political ads. I'd love to see some that are actually honest. For Republicans, it could read:

"Vote for Joe Smith. Nebraska is the 4th most conservative state in the nation and Joe Smith will take it to the top. He will cut taxes for the rich. As the saying goes, 'those who have money find ways to make more money' and Smith agrees with that statement 110%. Everyone will be forced to wear uniforms when Smith is elected to office. Here's what they'll look like (Smith strikes a pose in the uniform). He will make it mandatory that every Nebraskan serves at least two years in the military. Abortion will be completely banned, even in cases of rape, incest or where the mother's health is in jeopardy. The Nebraska morning news will be hosted by Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity if you vote for Smith on Election Day. Two guns per household will be the minimum. More guns and less crime! It's a fact, so says the National Rifle Association. Smith doesn't care about you or your family. He just wants money, power, control and to feel like God. Don't you want to elect someone into office who possesses these delusions of grandeur and who provides the type of honesty which has been displayed in this ad? Make Smith God of Nebraska and get a high by drinking shots in his pews. Joe Smith = Nebraska."

Or for Democrats, it could read:

"Vote Frankie Chilomski. Want someone to listen to what the people have to say, to take their thoughts and suggestions into consideration and to have difficulty in making decisions on his own? Then Chilomski's your guy! Chilomski values the people's right to choose. He's pro-choice, pro-protest, anti-NSA, pro-speech, pro-religion and even pro-orientation. Ladies, minorities, gays and anyone else who feel like you're being cheated by our current system, vote for Chilomski! He's on your side! Chilomski guarantees that after he's elected, he will take a weekly vote, by those registered, on bills he's thinking of passing. He works for the people and this is concrete evidence of that. Vote Chilomski! He cares for the Nebraska corn."

Ah, those will be the days, right? It's still funny to sit down and ponder about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...