Skip to main content

Being gay is like smoking, eh? Me thinks not.


When interviewed by ThinkProgress earlier this year, social conservative leader (Iowa Family Leader), Bob Vander Plaats, stated, “If we’re teaching the kids, ‘don’t smoke, because that’s a risky health style,’ the same can be true of the homosexual lifestyle. That’s why I think we need to speak the truth once in a while.”[1]
Indeed we do.

This wasn’t the first time Vander Plaats resorted to such rhetoric regarding homosexuality. Earlier this year, he stated the following, “Why not open it up! Bisexual, polygamy, multiple women? Why not?”

Okay, so I’ve heard this slippery slope before. “Legalize gay marriage? Then what? Polygamy? Incest? Marrying your dog? Marrying a poster of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Really? What’s next?”

Alright, so I’ve heard the slippery slope before when people have attempted to make a case against gay marriage. However, this was the first time I had heard a person compare homosexuality to smoking. That’s right, smoking = being gay. This mathematically-sound formula could make for some interesting dialogue.

Jeffrey: “Yo, do you have a pack of gays on you?”

Joseph: “I just have this one. We’ll need to buy some more gays.”

Jeffrey: “What kind, though? There are so many gays to choose from: Camels, Marlboros, Virginia Slims.”

Joseph: “Yeah, I’m always in the mood for different gays. I like switching things up on a regular basis. It keeps things interesting and exciting.”

Jeffrey: “Getting serious for a second, do you ever worry that gays will give you lung cancer?”

Joseph, “Naw, man. Just because I like to gay it up every day, doesn’t mean anything. What about you?”

Jeffrey: “I don’t know. There are some times I seriously want to stop doing gays. I still enjoy it. There’s nothing like, after a stressful day at work, popping a gay in your mouth, but still…”

Joseph: “Yeah, I hear ya. I had an awful day yesterday. Gays were going in and out of my mouth every couple of minutes. There were a few times I had three gays in my mouth at once.”

Jeffrey: “Holy crap! I’ve never been able to do that. My record is two gays at once. You’ve got quite the mouth on you!”

Joseph: “Thank you. Yours isn’t so bad either. Speaking of which, would you like to come to my house and have some smoke?”


[1] How I wish I were gay and would thereby be able to counter such arguments with, “Marriage? Between a man and a woman? What will be next? A man and two women? Five women? One-hundred forty-six women? Poster cut-outs of women? Women inflatable dolls? Where will we draw the line?”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...