Skip to main content

The Dissent and Leave Philosophy

I just read a ranting blog from a person whom stated that while it was our first amendment right to express our opinions and views, if we complained at all regarding our country or our way of life, then we could celebrate another right that's allowed in this country and leave.

How I just love, I mean, loathe that philosophy, because well, it makes no sense to me. So, let me get this straight, we should all celebrate our first amendment rights of free speech, but if we disagree with anything this person has to say, we should leave the country and live elsewhere? Hmm.

What is the point of having free speech if we're not allowed to disagree? It's not free then, is it? It'd definitely come at a price! If a person is a strong advocate of the death penalty, while I may strongly disagree with their opinion, I'm not going to say, "You know, you can just leave!" That's their opinion and they have every right to express that. If they're Jewish or Muslim and they celebrate a holiday other than Christmas, does that mean they should leave? If I live in Nebraska and don't watch Husker games every week, should I be kicked out of the state? If a family member of mine and I have much different political beliefs, should the family hold a vote on which one of us to kick out? If my mother and I have a difference in opinion, should she disown me and I can go off to find myself another family?

If we each have first amendment rights, we should be allowed to express them, even if we're at odds with the majority of the country. It's our right. If we only had one voice in this country, then, as Edward R. Murrow put it, we would have lost the heart and soul of what makes America the country that it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...