Skip to main content

Why the Fuss?

What's the big deal about Latinos singing "The Star Spangled Banner" in Spanish? Would it be a crime for Anglos to go to Mexico and sing their national song in English? And just because a few Anglos sing that song in English, does that change the entire landscape of Mexico's national song? Give me a break.

You know what I think it is? I think some Anglos are jealous. Why? Spanish is one of the romance languages, along with French and Italian. Notice the three languages I mentioned. English is not one of them. They're beautiful languages. Anyone who thinks otherwise is in pure denial. I don't care if I understand what they're saying or not or if they're flat out insulting me, what they say in one of these languages will sound more beautiful and sexy than a person telling me in English that they love me.

We sing the Canadian national anthem sometimes, at baseball, basketball and hockey games. They're our neighbors up north. What harm would it do to give our neighbors from down south something to sing? Heck, the Canadian song is their own. What Latinos are singing is "The Star Spangled Banner," only in Spanish. It's not like they're singing some kind of hate song about America. They're singing our national anthem.

Some people get scared of anything. Some will go crazy and say, "You see? You see what I was talking about? Those Mexicans are trying to steal our song! They're trying to make it their song! It's not their song! It's our song! They can't have it! Sing it in English!" Yeah, yeah, yeah. What, are they idiots? Do they think, that with 70% Anglos in this country, that we're suddenly going to change the language of our national anthem from English to Spanish? Whatever buddy. That would be like Canada singing their song in Polish. Not going to happen. So, please, give it a rest. If they want to sing "our" song in Spanish, let them. Spanish is a more beautiful language than English anyway. If you're jealous that you can't speak a romance language, then learn. Heck, learn their version of "The Star Spangled Banner," sing it at a ball game, roll your r's (I can't do that! Ugh!), and trust me, you'll be impressing people left and right (front and back also, and diagonally, I guess). Guys, if you speak to a woman in one of the three romance languages fluently (whether it makes sense or not, unless she's fluent in the language as well, then make sure it makes sense), then she's all yours. Ladies, same to you. And I hear so many people saying, "Learn English! Speak English!" Blah blah blah. Most people in this country have learned some English, regardless of where they're from. Why can't we get off our lazy bums and learn some Spanish? We're neighbors. Let's try understanding one another.

So, please, let's not fight or argue about this. It's silly to upset about this issue or non-issue as I think of it. The Latinos are not taking over, are not transforming "The Star Spangled Banner." They're just trying to show their love and respect for this country in their native tongue.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...