Skip to main content

Retaliation in Baseball

An odd situation occurred a while back in the Chicago White Sox clubhouse. Chicago's catcher, A.J. Pierzynski, was hit twice in a game against Texas, so when the Rangers' Hank Blalock came to bat in the 7th, Chicago head coach Ozzie Guillen brought a pitcher in to retaliate and bean Blalock.

Rookie Sean Tracey was Guillen's pick for the job. Tracey threw two pitches inside and then got Blalock to ground out. Usually, players and managers would be content with an out, especially against a hitter the caliber of Blalock, right? Wrong. Guillen was furious and lost it in the dugout.

What happened after that? Tracey got demoted to Triple-A. Because of the incident? That's hard to say, but some are suggesting that it is due to this incident.

Some like to say that the beanball retaliation is just a part of the game. But why? What's the big deal? Why give the opposing team a free runner on base? Especially if the game is close? That never made sense to me. If it's 5-4, in the 7th or 8th inning, retaliation is more important to some than winning the game. With the bases empty, the worst that can happen is a solo shot for a 5-5 tie. With the retaliating beanball, that puts the tying runner on base and the go-ahead (potential winning) run at the plate. With one swing of the bat, the team that was just up 5-4 could be trailing 6-5, just because they had to retaliate. I do not see the point, never have and probably never will. Retaliation gets players hurt, tempers flaring, players ejected, coaches ejected, dugouts brawling, fines going all around, players and coaches unfocused and games lost. I'm sorry, but to make all those potential sacrifices for getting back at a team for beaning one of your players is simply not worth it.

Links:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2485365

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...