Skip to main content

The No-Win Gun Debate

I've heard both sides, the far right and the far left. Honestly, I don't think either side can truly prove they're right (as in correct).

I read an article not too long ago stating that gun control makes things easier on thieves and rapists. I've also read that gun control is just a way to strip us of our rights, so the government can take total control.

On the far right, it seems they believe if everyone owned a gun, we'd all be safer, because we'd all be able to protect ourselves. On the far left, it appears they believe if no one owned a gun, we'd all be safer, because there would be no threat of a gun.

Both sides have a point, but there's no way to truly identify a clear winner in this debate. One reason is the fact that not everyone owns a gun, to counter the right's side. Another reason is the fact that even if guns were made illegal (like alcohol had been), guns would still be traveling along the underground and find its way on the streets, to counter the left's argument.

It also depends upon who has a gun to "protect" themselves. If a person was being robbed and they had a gun, then perhaps the right is on to something. However, if the robber has a gun, then it'd be the person they were robbing whom would be a potential victim of gun violence, and in this case, the left would be on to something.

Now, if I had a choice between every human being having a gun or no one having the opportunity to own a gun, I'd feel safer with no guns, but that would be me just being naive, because as I mentioned, no matter how much gun control we have, there is no way to completely prevent guns from being manufactured and sold.

So, for now, I think the compromise is what is termed gun control. Some politicians may try to go too far with this and in these cases, the conservatives might be accurate in stating that some people are attempting to take away our rights, because as it states in the 2nd amendment, we have the right to bare arms. But, some gun control laws make sense to me. If an individual has a record of driving recklessly, DUI's, amongst other traffic-related incidents, he or she may lose their right to drive their automobile for a certain period of time. If an individual has a history of gun violence and crime, shouldn't that person lose their right to own a gun? So, background checks make sense. Waiting a certain amount of time before selling a gun to the buyer makes sense. Certain violent crimes happen in the moment, so waiting a period of time before selling the weapon may allow the buyer some time to cool down and put things into perspective before doing something they'll forever regret.

This is a no win debate. Both sides present decent points that may be accurate in certain instances, but not in others. So, for now, I think certain gun control laws are the compromise, until someone comes up with a better idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Another look at "The Nightly Show" with Larry Wilmore

After its first week, I gave The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore a B+ grade. While I didn't think the show appeared to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination, I also liked the Daily Show  meets Politically Incorrect vibe I got from it, and thought, with the proper adjustments, the show would indeed provide a great fill-in for The Colbert Report . In the show's succeeding weeks, however, I've been less impressed by it and think that if it doesn't make certain adjustments, it could be in jeopardy of losing many long-time viewers of the show's time slot. One major issue I think the show's had to this point is a lack of direction. It's been unable to decide whether it wants to be a comedy show with serious conversation sprinkled in or a serious show with comedy sprinkled in. It's almost as if the show's writers want to give The Nightly Show a Real Time with Bill Maher feel. The problem with that idea or format is the fact Real Time is an hour lon...

My first book review of "Penetrating the Heart of Life: Ambiguous In Thought, Ambivalent In Feeling"

Well, I received my first book review on this poetry-compilation book I completed and published late last year, but have finally gotten around to marketing now. The reviewer gave it 5 out of 5 stars and said: "I enjoyed the poetic journey the writer has taken me on. From darkest days and hopeful optimism to the conclusion of hope realized. The visual images that the poem titled "Room Temperature" elicits, made me think of the song, "Horse With No Name" sung by the band America. In a similar manner, another poem – "Deafening Sigh-lence" reminded me a great deal of Simon & Garfunkel’s song, "The Sound of Silence". There are so many poems in this book that I related to, that I felt a connection to the author and felt that we were traveling on this journey together." http://www.lulu.com/shop/craig-rozniecki/penetrating-the-heart-of-life-ambiguous-in-thought-ambivalent-in-feeling/paperback/product-18677501.html

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...