Skip to main content

Religion Makes Some Go Blind

Ever know a person who would openly discuss things with you, regardless of the topic, but if and when you got to the topic of religion, that all changed?

I know some people like this and just heard a story from a friend of mine a couple years ago that illustrates it. She, we'll call her Lucy, was raised Catholic and he, Adam, is Jewish. All throughout the relationship, Adam said he had to marry a Jewish woman. Lucy, because she cared about him so much, showed an interest and was willing to convert. All throughout the relationship, Adam made it known that he was the ever omniscient one when it came to the topic of religion.

He read in one book that a person felt Catholics believed that Jesus was God, so he told Lucy about this and Lucy came back with, "No, we believe he's the son of God."

Adam argued and said, "You should do some reading and studying on your own religion before you come talk to me about it."

There it was, a conversation closer, because he didn't know how to respond. So, throughout the nine months they were together, he questioned the Christian faith. Lucy was open to the questioning and attempted to answer whatever questions Adam had. When Lucy questioned Judaism, however, Adam called her an "anti-Semite"! He believed that by solely questioning the religion, she was being disrespectful towards it.

I kind of laughed when I heard this, because Mr. Adam writes a column in a school paper and consistently questions the U.S. Government and their decision-making.

I joked with Lucy about this and said, "Oh, so since he questions the government, that means he's being disrespectful and is Anti-American, right?"

Same kind of logic, different topics and completely different results.

It sounds to me like Mr. Adam just wanted a yes man or woman in this case. He just wanted someone to nod and smile as he ranted about all other religions and yet, couldn't take any questioning about his own.

But what is the harm in questioning? Doesn't one need to question in order to learn and come to a concise conclusion about something? Without questioning, we'd all be a bunch of brainwashed robots, unable to think for ourselves. Just press a button and off we go to obey the every command with no second thoughts.

I like to go by the transitive inference philosophy when it comes to religion. Organized religion was created by man. Man is imperfect. Therefore, organized religion is imperfect. If A = B and B = C, then A = C. So, since human beings are not perfect and we can question them constantly, what's the harm in questioning religion? Who knows, if we question enough to our liking and we still believe what we thought we believed in the first place, our faith should be much greater than it was initially, when it was blind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...