Skip to main content

More guns = less crime? Not so fast says a new study

I've never been one to believe that more guns results in less gun-related crime. It's just never made any logical sense to me. Is there a link between an increase in fast-food consumption and a decrease in obesity? An increase in unprotected sex and a decrease in sexually-transmitted diseases? It's about cause and effect. What are guns designed to do? Shoot. What are the possible effects of shooting a firearm? Injuring and/or killing an animal or person. The more guns that are purchased and shot, the greater the gun-related crime will likely be. The greater the fast-food consumption, the greater the obesity rate will likely be. The greater the frequency of unprotected sex, the greater the spread of sexually-transmitted diseases will likely be. That's what logic, consistency, and common sense have told me through the years. However, many on the right-side of the political spectrum have been attempting to persuade people that the direct opposite is true - with an increase in gun ownership, there's a decrease in gun-related crime. Unfortunately, studies of gun violence have been more scarce than MySpace in recent years, which has led to a great deal of debate without much scientific merit.

Fortunately, studies revolving around gun violence will become more commonplace in the next four years following President Obama's executive order on the matter. Yesterday, such a study was published in the medical journal JAMA Internal Medicine. The results were based on gun-related deaths (homicides and suicides) between 2007 and 2010 reported by the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

What was discovered? States with the most gun-control laws have the fewest gun-related deaths - a 42% lower gun-death rate than states with the least number of such laws.

Your move, NRA...

http://news.yahoo.com/more-gun-laws-fewer-deaths-134804944.html

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1661390

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...