Skip to main content

Utah senator compares guns to church, breakfast, and library books

Even though approximately 90% of the public support universal background checks, including a large majority of gun owners, many Congressional Republicans are not convinced on the matter. The latest in this seemingly never-ending line of anti-background check Republicans is Utah Senator Mike Lee, who recently said the following on Fox News:

"[T]he concern with those is that background checks in and of themselves aren't going to work unless they are accompanied by some sort of registration system. [The American people] are not really comfortable with the idea of the government knowing exactly what firearm they purchase any more than they would be comfortable with the government knowing when or how often they go to church or what they eat for breakfast or what books they are reading from the library."

Senator Lee is absolutely right. I mean, what's the difference between a gun and a church, breakfast, or library books anyway? Nothing. I will now prove just how strikingly similar they are through some fictitious works.

Comparison: Guns to a church

Church-greeter Judas Priest: "Hey Joshua. How's it hanging? Oh, you took Viagra this morning? That's good. Stand up for the lord! Hey Debbie. How's college going? You're pregnant? Well, isn't that something? Who's the father? Your Bible-study leader? It's how God would have wanted it. Hey Suzie, Jacob, Bartholomew, Barbara... Excuse me... Sir? Are you new here? You are? Alright, well, I'm going to have to ask you a few questions before I allow you in here. Are you registered for this church? No? What is your church-crime record like? Wow - you have quite the record on you, don't you? Well, I'm sorry sir, but legally, I can't allow you in here. Jesus forgives you, though. Have a nice day."


Comparison: Guns to breakfast

News-anchor Brutus Brutislava: "Another tragedy struck Hicksville, New York today, as yet again, a masked man beat a woman to death with a box of Frosted Mini-Wheats. It was the fourth time this week that this very thing happened. Police believe it's the same man who committed all four murders, as on top of all four victims laid a Frosted Mini-Wheats cereal box with a note attached to it that said, 'There ain't nothing mini about that, b**ch!' Police still aren't sure what that means, but have a hunch that this man is killing women whom told him he possessed small genitalia. We'll be sure to keep all of you at home updated on this story as soon as we find out more information. Stay tuned!"


Comparison: Guns to library books

Police officer Frank Biggsby: "Put your hands up where I can see them! Hands up!"

Sheldon Pi: "For what? What did I do?"

Biggsby: "Oh, I see that! Drop your weapon! Drop it or I will shoot!"

Pi: "It's just a library book."

Biggsby: "Is it loaded? I'll ask again, is it loaded?"

Pi: "Loaded? With what?"

Biggsby: "What do you think, nimrod? Pages!"

Pi: "I suppose so..."

Biggsby: "That's what I thought! Drop it! Drop it now!"

Pi: "Okay..."

Biggsby: "You're under arrest! Don't you know it's against this state's laws to carry a loaded book in a library? What the hell is wrong with you? Are you stupid or something? I hope this is just your first offense, buddy. If it's your second or especially third offense, you could be spending a lot of time in jail, where the only things you'll be reading are tattoos on guys' junk!"

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2013/03/29/1795631/senator-compares-background-checks-to-government-spying-on-what-americans-eat-for-breakfast/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...