Skip to main content

Planned Parenthood is all about abortion, yet provides contraceptive services to reduce the probability of an abortion? That makes sense...

Republicans have been hard at work in attempting to strip funding from Planned Parenthood. Texas Republican State Senator Ken Paxton is attempting to minimize the group's influence even further by prohibiting them from providing public school sexual education classes with any instructional materials or contraceptive resources.

With regard to this, Paxton has proposed a bill and during a recent hearing surrounding the bill, Renate Sims of Round Rock said the following to the Senate Education Committee:

"[I strive to teach my five children that] married sex and only married sex is appropriate. Abortion providers like Planned Parenthood and their affiliates can't possibly communicate this message effectively because of their inherent conflict of interest. If teenagers consistently viewed sex as something to be saved for marriage, Planned Parenthood would lose abortion business."

Let's think about this for a moment. Senator Paxton and company seem to believe the following:

1) Abortion is bad

2) Planned Parenthood provides contraceptive resources for sex ed classes

3) Planned Parenthood wants more sex to be had by young people and more abortions for a boost to their business

4) Planned Parenthood must be stopped

So, Planned Parenthood provides contraceptive resources to prevent unwanted pregnancies and through that, reduce abortions, yet they also want more unwanted pregnancies which would lead to an increase in abortions? That makes about as much sense as someone handing out a free gun to every citizen in this country in order to reduce gun violence.

Also, I'd hate to disappoint Renate Sims and many others, but Planned Parenthood would not lose a great amount of business if they didn't provide abortion services. In 2009, Planned Parenthood provided 11,383,900 procedures, just 332,278 of which dealt with abortion - 2.9% of the total number of procedures. Would Planned Parenthood lose some business? Sure. However, they'd maintain 97.1% of it. That would be like a sports analyst saying a team's second-string fullback - who comprised 2.9% of the team's total offense - getting injured would ruin the team's chances of attaining/maintaining success.

In light of all this, I think Planned Parenthood should come out with a new slogan, such as "Planned Parenthood - always providing contraception for abortions!"

I can also hear the group airing the following ad:

"We're Planned Parenthood and we love for people to have lots of unprotected sex. This leads to unwanted pregnancies, which leads to abortions, and that's where we come in. Even though only 3% of our business pertains to abortion, without it, we'd be stuck at 97% of what we were, so we'd basically be at 0%, well, plus 97. To increase abortions and maintain our business, we provide people with contraceptives. What better way to increase unwanted pregnancies and abortions than to make sure people are protected while engaging in the horizontal mambo and doing all they can to prevent those unwanted pregnancies and abortions? Support funding for Planned Parenthood, where we always provide contraception for your abortions!"

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/03/06/1679351/texas-planned-parenthood-sex-ed/

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/apr/08/jon-kyl/jon-kyl-says-abortion-services-are-well-over-90-pe/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boycotting jukeboxes because of TouchTunes

I love music and enjoy hitting the bar(s) over the weekend, so naturally, when the mood strikes me, I've never been coy about playing some songs on the jukebox. This past Thursday, a friend of mine turned 50, so several friends of her's, including myself, all met up to celebrate the occasion. At around 9:30, a friend of mine and I both chipped in $5 to play some songs on the jukebox. Four hours and 231 skips later, we gave up on hearing the songs we had selected, and went home knowing we had just wasted $5. This wasn't the first time such a thing had happened to me (and many others), and due to that, I'll be boycotting jukeboxes. Why? The scam known as TouchTunes. You see, here's how the plot typically breaks down. A person (or group of people) downloads the TouchTunes app on his/her phone, consumes one too many adult beverages, and due to this, has less care for spending extra money to hear the songs of their choosing right NOW. That's the thing with TouchTun...

A closer look at the Scramble With Friends power-ups

I am unashamed to admit that I'm a nerd. My idea of a good time is playing a word game like Boggle or Scrabble. Thankfully, I (and many others) can play such games via Facebook and/or my (our) cell phone(s). While it seems that cheating has become more commonplace in these games (Words With Friends in particular) than San Diego has had nice weather, I've yet to give in to that craze. One element present with the game Scramble With Friends (Boggle) not present in Words With Friends (Scrabble) are legal boosts called "power-ups," which cost a number of tokens from the 15 available. I've now tried all five power-ups, including the latest one which costs money. So, in case anyone's curious about playing the game or giving these power-ups a gander, here's a rundown of them all: Freeze - I think this is probably my favorite of all the power-ups. With the freeze, time stands still for a matter of seconds, which allows you more time to find words and improve...

Film Critic Steve Rhodes Has Some Issues

Normally, I don't "bash" movie critics, because what's the point? We all have different tastes in film, so who am I to say that their tastes are wrong? But, I just bumped into a critic online the other day, and I really have to wonder about him. There is not much consistency with what he likes and doesn't like. Check that, he dislikes anything with George Clooney, he either strongly likes or dislikes films dealing with politics, and he typically enjoys Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Keep in mind that this is a major film critic. This is not a guy like me who writes blog reviews after I view a film at the theaters. Also keep in mind that I'm very open-minded when it comes to films. I enjoy: comedies, dramas, science-fiction, action, suspense/mystery, horror, romantic comedies, romance, foreign, independent, satires, amongst others. It takes a lot for me to sit down, watch a film, and dislike it. There are only a few films where after the credits start rolling, I...